Tuesday 10 July 2012

Craig Seldin Responds to Social Media Trends in Divorce Cases - YAHOO!

Craig Seldin Responds to Social Media Trends in Divorce Cases - YAHOO!

Many divorce attorneys are reporting an increase in the involvement of evidence gathered from clients’ social networking sites. Craig Seldin, a Houston-based lawyer, comments on the rise of social media in divorce proceedings.

Houston, TX (PRWEB) July 10, 2012

Social media is laced with several positive benefits, as many users applaud the use of Facebook to connect with old friends, share thoughts and communicate with others at a quick pace. While the use of social networks may have increased the connectivity of Internet users across the globe, it is also connected to a rise in affairs and evidence used in divorce cases. A recent report from The Detroit Free Press addresses these increases and states, “more than 80% of U.S. divorce attorneys say they've seen a rise in the number of cases using social networking, according to the American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers.” Craig Seldin is a divorce and family law attorney in Houston, Texas and notes that these websites do not only create opportunities for affairs, but also have lawyers learning how to incorporate them into divorce trials.

The article also refers to a study from Divorce Online, a UK-based legal services firm, that revealed over a third of UK divorce filings included the word “Facebook.” These numbers indicate that the use of social media is not necessarily just a trend in American divorce, but one that is affecting married couples all over the world. Author of Facebook and Your Marriage, K. Jason Krafsky, tells The Detroit Free Press, “Affairs happen with a lightning speed on Facebook… It puts temptation in the path of people who would never in a million years risk having an affair.”

Not only do these websites increase the opportunity for adultery, but also provide a wealth of evidence for lawyers to use in divorce trials. Craig Seldin comments, “What children and parents communicate on Facebook and other social media sites can be used as critical evidence in divorces. Without social media documentation, it is difficult to prove various allegations of adultery or other issues in a divorce. With social media, a person can provide a party with tremendous evidence.” The article notes that websites like Facebook present a false sense of security; individuals feel that they can post anything to “let off steam,” when it can actually be more incriminating than users anticipated.

These possibilities have many attorneys realizing the threat of Facebook-related information when trying to achieve the best results for their clients. Craig Seldin observes on this common trend among legal professionals, “One of the first tasks of an attorney is to ensure that his client discontinues use of social media networking during the divorce. It is not uncommon to see Facebook accounts disappear during a divorce.”

ABOUT:

Craig Seldin is a Texas State Law professional who is skilled in several practice areas. He works to provide legal representation that is efficient, affordable and aggressive to meet a client’s needs. Skilled in family and divorce law, Craig Seldin is an expert on child custody, property and asset issues. His services are currently available to those within the Houston, Texas area.

Visit http://www.craigseldin.net, to learn more about Craig Seldin’s practice.

Michael McGarety
PR Authority
800-475-2390
Email Information



Source: news.yahoo.com

Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes reach divorce settlement fortnight after split - Metro.co.uk

The pair brought proceedings to a speedy conclusion, Holmes’s lawyer, Jonathan Wolfe revealed.

‘The case has been settled and the agreement has been signed,’ he said.

‘We are thrilled for Katie and her family and are excited to watch as she embarks on the next chapter of her life.

‘We thank Tom’s counsel for their professionalism and diligence that helped bring this speedy resolution.’

Earlier in the day, the pair released their first joint statement asking for privacy: ‘We are committed to working together as parents to accomplish what is in our daughter Suri’s best interests. We want to keep matters affecting our family private and express our respect for each other’s commitment to each of our respective beliefs and support each other’s roles as parents.’

The declaration came after reports of a temporary truce being called while their lawyers struck a deal.

The Mission: Impossible star, 50, made it crystal clear that there would be no agreement without him having significant contact with his daughter.

Six-year-old Suri was the ‘deal-maker and the deal-breaker in his divorce with Katie’, according to TMZ.

Cruise had insisted the settlement provided ‘meaningful, significant contact’ with his daughter. ‘She is the primary concern in his life,’ sources told the celebrity website.

Tom’s long-time lawyer, Bert Fields added: ‘The Tom Cruise-Katie Holmes case has been settled with a signed agreement. Tom is really pleased we got there, and so am I.’

For the past few days, lawyers for both sides were holding marathon meetings trying to negotiate the terms of the settlement and keep it out of court.

There is no word yet on whether the 33-year-old Batman Begins star will get any of Cruise’s £180million fortune or whether she was awarded sole custody of Suri.

Holmes took everyone by surprise when she filed for divorce a fortnight ago, ending their five-year romance.


Source: www.metro.co.uk

Grammar and secondary modern pupils talk about year 8 - The Guardian

It's two years since Education Guardian first met a group of year 6 children from St Saviour's primary school in Westgate-on-Sea, Kent, who shared with us their hopes and fears for the future at "big school". But moving up to a secondary wasn't the only thing they had to worry about. Living in one of the 36 local authorities that still have grammar schools, they also had the 11-plus exam to contend with and the divide between who would go to grammar school and who wouldn't. Two of the children from St Saviour's were off to a grammar and three to a non-selective high school.

When we caught up with them at the end of year 7, they seemed relieved that their biggest fears about big school – getting lost, being picked on by older kids, or accidentally hearing bad language – hadn't been such a bother. So, as they come to the end of their second year, how are they faring?

Gabriel, 13, Dane Court grammar school, Broadstairs

Last year Gabriel said: 'I'm not sure I would have achieved as much if I wasn't in a grammar school'

I'm still getting used to the fact that some people are much cleverer than me, but I try to stay positive. I'm in the bottom set for maths, but I'm good at other things, like French. If you overthink it, you just upset yourself.

The 11-plus exam seems so irrelevant now. The test was all about shape and words, but the minute you get here [to grammar school] there's nothing like that. It makes me wonder if there are kids at other schools who didn't pass the test, but would actually get on fine here.

I've had a few problems with people in my form this year, like this girl who kept taking my phone and constantly bugging me. There is a lot of teasing, but the best thing is to laugh it off. Mostly it's about change, like when someone has a new haircut. People pick on anything different.

Now I'm a teenager, I'm definitely more aware of how I look. I talk about going on a diet – then I go and scoff some doughnuts. I've got braces now, which are really painful, but in a few years' time at least I'll have great teeth.

Gabriel's mother, Rachel Saint:

Gabriel enjoys school, but he does have a tendency to get drawn into his friends' dramas – particularly their romances – so it can be a challenge to keep him focused on his studies. He's still really into the performing arts. He won the school's inter-house music competition, competing against pupils who were much older than him. We are really proud of him.

Cameron, 13, King Ethelbert school, Westgate-on-Sea

Last year Cameron said: 'I think I've definitely got much louder since I started secondary school'

When I started here, some people made fun of me, but now I have made friends with the people who were giving me a hard time, things are easier. I feel different now I am a teenager. I'm taller than my mum and my voice has broken, which was quite a weird experience. I didn't notice it at first, but my dad started teasing me and telling me I was talking funny. I've started to get moody too – not on purpose.

One of the best things that has happened to me this year is becoming a peer mentor, which means I go to primary schools to meet children who will be coming here in September. Most of them have the same worries I had. I try to reassure them that everything will turn out all right. When I was in year 7, I felt like a nobody. Now everyone knows me.

Anthea Millen, Cameron's mother:

Although he is still shy about some things, like putting his hand up in class, Cameron seems much happier this year. He has lots of friends and his confidence has soared. He's been having extra tuition in English, which has really paid off. His grades have improved across the board.

I do wonder where my little boy has gone though. I keep saying to him: "Don't grow up too quick".

Tayla, 12, Dane Court grammar school

Last year Tayla said: 'It's competitive here, but not in a nasty way. If someone is doing really well, it motivates you to do better'

Things have definitely got more difficult this year. We've just taken our exams – 12 in three days – which was hard-going.

Now everyone has settled into secondary school, there is a lot more bitchiness. Some people in the class will just turn on others for no reason. They'll just start ignoring someone and get everyone else to do the same. I was on the receiving end of it at the beginning of year 8 and it was horrible. You feel you don't want to put your hand up in class or say anything, in case it's the wrong thing.

Some people are real cowards and hide behind their phones or laptops. They won't say anything to your face, but there'll be stuff about you all over Blackberry Messenger or Facebook.

Everyone is acting a lot more grown-up now, particularly some of the girls. It tends to come as a package: make-up, boys and hair dye. The group I hang about with isn't really like that: we're more interested in having sleepovers and hanging out together than going out with boys.

Nicola Gaspa, Tayla's mother:

Tayla has had a tough year with problems in her friendship gr oup. It got so bad at one point, her work was starting to suffer and we considered moving her to another school. The teachers have stayed on top of it though, and the ringleaders have been punished. We are very proud of her attitude to her schoolwork. She scored As in most of her end-of-year exams.

Ellie, 13, King Ethelbert school

Last year, Ellie said: 'I do have times when I wish I could be back in the safety of my old primary school, but most days I feel OK'

I'm much happier at school than I was last year. I've danced in school productions and we're doing Bugsy Malone at the moment, which is really good fun. Last year, some people in my class used to tease me, but that has pretty much stopped now I've found a group of friends I feel comfortable to hang around with. We're all kind of misfits, which is why we get on well together.

Some of the girls in my class have changed a lot this year. They are a bit louder, dye their hair, get piercings, wear make-up and bring iPods into school, but that's not really my sort of thing. I'm much more interested in dancing.

Angela Perry-Taylor, Ellie's mother:

Ellie has had a brilliant year at school. She's found a really nice group of friends and has done really well. Her teachers say she has exceeded all of her targets and is in the top 25% of her year group, so we are really pleased.

We've noticed her changing, though. She has developed a good sense of humour, has a lot more opinions of her own and her friends are really important to her now – almost more important than family. She is definitely more self-conscious about her appearance. She doesn't seem interested in having boyfriends yet – at least she hasn't mentioned anything at home.

Lewis, 13, King Ethelbert school

Last year, Lewis said: 'Secondary school gives you experience of what is going to happen in the big wide world, where you won't have teachers and friends holding your hand all the time'

I had a few problems with older students teasing me when I was in year 7, but that has all stopped now. I'm much more confident in myself and able to stand my ground.

My little brother is due to join the school this September. He's worried about getting lost or picked on – all the things I worried about when I started. I'll help him if he needs it but not all the time. I want him to be independent and learn to stand on his own two feet.

Our teachers have already started talking to us about which GCSEs we'd like to do, as we have to decide in year 9. I want to be a film director, so I think I will need drama and English. I definitely think I'd like to go to university.

I think I am one of the top students in my year, but I don't regret not taking the 11-plus exam. I'd much rather be top of a school like this than struggling in a grammar school.

I do think the system is a bit unfair though. Even if you're really smart, when it comes to looking for jobs or applying for university, if you go to a school like this, people might not think you're as good as someone who goes to grammar school.

Jo Baker, Lewis's mother:

Lewis has grown in confidence and is turning into a really mature and sensible young man. He loves getting involved in school activities, particularly the drama club and school plays. He's still not keen on homework though or getting out of bed in the morning.


Source: www.guardian.co.uk

Mark Boucher to miss Kent warm-up match - Kent News

South African wicketkeeper ruled out of tour against England

South African wicketkeeper Mark Boucher will miss his country’s game against Kent later this week and the rest of the tour against England after undergoing eye surgery.

Boucher was struck in the left eye by a bail after Somerset’s Gemaal Hussain was bowled out yesterday in their warm-up match at Taunton.

It looks likely that will be the last time Boucher will be seen on English soil after announcing this tour would be his last. He is currently on 999 international dismissals, including a record 555 from 147 tests.

Kent wicketkeeper Geraint Jones tweeted: “Best wishes go to Mark Boucher for full recovery from his eye injury. He’s on 999 international dismissals, hope gets chance to get 1000.”

Thami Tsolekile has been earmarked as the man to replace him.

Kent play the tourists in a three-day game at Canterbury starting on Friday.

0 comments


    Source: www.kentnews.co.uk

    No comments: