PLATTSBURGH — Some Essex County farms could qualify for disaster funding, due to crops destroyed by frost after March 1.
The U.S. Department of Agriculture has issued federal agriculture disaster declarations for several New York counties. The original proposal championed by Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand had included Clinton County as well, but it was not included in the disaster declaration made by USDA Secretary Tom Vilsack on Wednesday.
“Farmers across New York who were still recovering from last year’s natural disasters risk losing an entire season worth of crops again,” Gillibrand said in a statement. “These disaster declarations are a good first step to open up access to federal resources so these farmers can get back to business and keep New York’s agricultural industry on the move.”
After a winter of record-high temperatures, many crops on New York farms blossomed earlier than usual. Many of these crops were then exposed to early spring freezing temperatures and were destroyed as a result.
Federal agriculture disaster recovery programs provide tools to assist farmers in overcoming the challenges they can face as they work to recover from production and physical losses on their farms and rebuild their business. Help includes financial assistance to compensate for farm losses, low-interest emergency loans and assistance in rehabilitating farmland.
The Farm Service Agency said disaster emergency loan assistance is available effective June 5 for those who lost at least 30 percent of their production. Farmers may be eligible for production loss loans of up to 100 percent of their actual loss, the operating loan amount needed to continue business or a maximum principal balance outstanding of $500,000, whichever is less.
Eligible farmers must be unable to obtain credit from private commercial lenders. The interest rate on the loans is 3.75 percent.
Applications will be accepted until Feb. 5, 2013.
The Farm Service Agency office is located at 2530 State Route 40, Greenwich, NY 12834. The phone number is 692-9940, Ext. 2.
Source: pressrepublican.com
Kent County Cricket Club to go without second overseas star for T20 campaign - Kent Online

Comments |
Read all comments on this story.

By Glenn Pearson
Kent have revealed they will begin their Friends Life T20 campaign on Tuesday against Sussex Sharks at Tunbridge Wells with just one overseas player.
The county have been on the lookout for an addition to West Indies batsman Brendan Nash for the 20-over competition, but have been priced out of the market by international stars more akin to Indian Premier League wages.
With a sizeable squad to pick from this season, which has seen the likes of Mike Powell and Charlie Shreck yet to feature in one-day cricket, it’s felt there are enough resources to choose from.
Kent chief executive Jamie Clifford (pictured) said: “We have looked everywhere and trawled through the options and, like our recruitment in the winter, we were very thorough, but concluded we couldn’t see anything that caught the eye.
“There are some silly prices out there, especially for just five home games. It means they would have to bring a hell of a lot of bums on a hell of a lot of seats to justify that price.
“There is a lot of experience in that dressing room, with several players having won it, others making it to finals day, so I would expect them to have another good run this year and use the resources we have.”
How do you think Kent will cope in the Twenty20 without a second overseas player? Have your say below
Wednesday, June 06 2012
Print Article
Buy a KM Picture
The KM Group does not moderate comments.
Please click here for our house rules.
Source: www.kentonline.co.uk
Bopara nearing another milestone - ECB
England batsman Ravi Bopara moved closer to his second century of the week on a rain-shortened second day of Essex's LV= County Championship match at Northamptonshire.
Only 13 wicketless overs were bowled at Wantage Road before bad light forced the players off and the rain soon followed, leading to play being called off in the afternoon with Essex on 195 for four.
Bopara moved on to 87 off 180 balls, including 15 fours. He will be looking to follow up the unbeaten 120 he smashed against Gloucestershire in the Clydesdale Bank 40 on Monday when play resumes tomorrow.
He was ably supported by his captain and wicketkeeper James Foster's 60 not out off 118 deliveries with their partnership now standing at 138.

Essex batsman Ravi Bopara needs another 13 runs to complete his second century of the week following his ton in the CB40 on Monday
Essex began the day on 138 for four with Bopara resuming on 65 and Foster 25 after they had helped salvage what was a faltering innings on the first day when their side had been reduced to 57 for four.
However, the start of proceedings was delayed by 15 minutes as the ground staff made sure everywhere was dry enough for play to begin.
Bopara and Foster completed their century partnership in the third over of the day when Foster bludgeoned Jack Brooks through midwicket for four.
Foster then pulled another four over the same area of the field off Lee Daggett to go past 50 off 101 balls.
Umpires Trevor Jesty and Tim Robinson then took the decision to take the players off for bad light just after midday despite neither of the batsmen looking in any trouble.
By then the visitors had added 57 to their overnight total with the last over seeing Bopara hit three fours off Daggett.
The first two of them were tremendous shots through the covers but he got away with his third, a thick top edge that flew over the slips and through third man.
Half an hour after the players left the field, rain began to fall leading to the Northants ground staff bringing on the covers and lunch being brought forward.
However, with the rain persistent, it soon became clear the players would not be reappearing and the umpires finally admitted defeat and called off proceedings at 2:30pm.
Source: www.ecb.co.uk
Miley Cyrus and Liam Hemsworth matrimonial commitment ahoy - The economic choice
Miley Cyrus and her Australian partner, Liam Hemsworth are now betrothed to one another sealed with a rather nice 19th century engagement ring.
The couple have enjoyed an on off relationship since they met and fell in love on the film-set set of ‘The Last Song‘ back in 2009.
Hunger Games Actor, Liam Hemsworth has publicly received the thumbs up from his future father-in-law, Billy Ray Cyrus who is told People Magazine that he is delighted at the news.
Miley, who shot to fame in Disney Channel hit television series Hannah Montana, has been spotted looking pleased as punch and beaming an awful lot since the engagement and if Liam’s tweets of the engagement ring are anything to go by it looks as if the future Mrs Hemsworth has more than one reason to celebrate.
A simple betrothal band has divided opinion in the media as to whether or not the offending item of jewellery is tasteful or just bling and should such rings be flaunted in a time of economic crisis.
The rising cost of precious metals also affects the viability for the average man on the street to purchase an engagement ring let alone one which will compete with that presented to Miley Cyrus.
In Greece women are now selling their engagement and wedding rings to pay for giving birth in hospital and the price of wedding ring may not even cover it.
The engagement between a 19 year old actress and a 22 year old actor has raised questions in the press over how long a teen marriage can last and why is such a union being devalued by the couple themselves who appear to be flaunting their opulence but one must remember what it was like to be young, naive and in love.
Image by Angela George [CC-BY-SA-3.0 (www.creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0)], via Wikimedia Commons
Most Commented Posts
Tags: Engagement, Hannah Montana, Hunger Games, Liam Hemsworth, Miley Cyrus
Source: www.economicvoice.com
