• John O'Sullivan, 37, snapped warden while she was working in Horsham, West Sussex

By Jill Reilly

|

Warned: John OSullivan, 37, was given a police caution

Warned: John O'Sullivan, 37, was given a police caution

A comedian was given a police caution after uploading a picture online of a traffic warden and encouraging people to 'ride her like a horse'.

John O'Sullivan, 37, took a picture of the warden from the back while she was working in Horsham, West Sussex.

He uploaded the picture to a Horsham forum on social networking site Facebook with the caption, ‘I will give 36 to anyone who jumps on her back spanks her and rides her like a horse'.

The picture soon attracted 250 ‘likes’ and many locals started sharing their own experiences with traffic wardens.

But a few days later Facebook took the picture down following a complaint and on May 29 - two weeks after the picture was first uploaded - Mr O’Sullivan was asked to hand himself in at a police station.

He did and was then cautioned under Section 4 of the Public Order Act 1986 for using ‘threatening, abusive or insulting words’.

Although Mr O’Sullivan says he did apologise and regrets his decision to upload the picture the police continued with his caution and he now has a criminal record.

Mr O’Sullivan said: ‘The whole thing is ridiculous.

‘I had a police interview, had my belongings taken from me and was then put in the cells for three hours.

‘I apologised then and I want to apologise now.

‘I was doing what I do and trying to make a joke and it went too far.

Camera: Mr OSullivan, took a picture of the warden from the back while she was working in Horsham, West Sussex and uploaded it to Facebook

Camera: Mr O'Sullivan, took a picture of the warden from the back while she was working in Horsham, West Sussex and uploaded it to Facebook

Mr O'Sullivan said that he wanted to make people laugh, but that it stopped being funny when he received a caution on his record.

‘I wasn’t being venomous. You couldn’t see her face or who it was.

‘I think the moment you put on a uniform you have to come under fire from the public anyway.

‘I am sure she has upset people in her time too.

‘Clearly I don’t actually want someone to ride a traffic warden like a horse, if I wanted to be nasty I would have said something far worse.’

A spokesperson from Sussex Police said: ‘A 37-year-old man from Horsham was cautioned for causing alarm and distress by posting an abusive message online about an individual on 29 May.’