Monday, 4 June 2012

Kent State Beats Kentucky Amid Controversy - msnbc.com

Kent State Beats Kentucky Amid Controversy - msnbc.com

GARY, Ind. (AP) - Kent State is heading to the super regionals for the first time in school history - but not without some controversy.

Evan Campbell blasted a disputed three-run homer in the eighth inning of Kent State's 3-2 victory over Kentucky. The ball cleared the right-field wall of the U.S. Steel Yard, but not a yellow line above a chain link fence that sits atop the wall.

Video shot by a Lexington TV station clearly showed the ball didn't clear the chain link fence, and assistant crew chief Travis Katzenmeier said after the game that the ball wouldn't be ruled a home run "if it didn't hit anything beyond the fence." The ball hit the chain link fence, fell to the top of the concrete wall and then bounced back into the field of play.

The umpires didn't discuss the play after first-base umpire Ken Durham signaled the home run, and Kentucky coach Gary Henderson didn't argue the call at the time. But Henderson began his postgame press conference by asking Kentucky athletic director Mitch Barnhart: "What can I say about the umpires?"

"I didn't have a clear vision, but my thought was that he couldn't miss it," Henderson said. "My initial thought was that he couldn't have missed three calls. The law of averages is staggering for that to happen. I should've been up there (talking to the umpires)."

Henderson was clearly frustrated by two calls from Durham earlier in the game that involved close plays at first base, both of which went against the Wildcats.

The victory extended Kent State's winning streak to 20 games, the longest active streak in the NCAA, but the controversy overshadowed the anticipated rematch from Friday night's 21-inning affair as well as the Golden Flashes' first NCAA regional title in school history.

The Golden Flashes (44-17) reached the Austin Regional final last season, but lost two consecutive games to Texas.

The feeling on Sunday night was in stark contrast to what Kent State experienced last season.

"This goes down as the biggest win in Kent State history," coach Scott Stricklin said. "We're taking the next step and it's what we talked about 365 days ago after we lost in Austin. We've exceeded our expectations. It's an unbelievable feeling. I can't describe how proud I am."

Campbell's home run was the first in more than 64 innings at the Steel Yard and it was the first big offensive play in a game that was surprisingly dominated by starting pitching. Both teams were cautious throughout the weekend with their pitchers after playing the 21-inning marathon Friday night, but starters Tyler Skulina (Kent State) and Chandler Shepherd (Kentucky) didn't allow a run through their first seven innings of work.

Kentucky reliever Alex Phillips entered the game after the Golden Flashes got two on in the eighth inning and Campbell blasted the first pitch he saw to the top of the right-field wall.

"I didn't think it was gone when I first hit it," Campbell said. "There were other balls that were hit further than that during this tournament that didn't go out. I saw it bounce, but I didn't see where it went."

Kentucky right fielder Cameron Flynn watched the ball sail over his head and went to make a play on the ball when it came back onto the field.

"I thought it hit the guard rail and came back," Flynn said. "I turned around to get the ball and the umpire called a home run. It bounced back, below the yellow line."

The Wildcats (45-18) rallied to add two runs in the eighth inning, but fell short in their bid to continue the winningest season in program history.

(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

 

Permalink | Comments


Source: www.msnbc.msn.com

Sussex celebrates the Diamond Jubilee - The Argus.co.uk

Sussex celebrates the Diamond Jubilee

Sussex turned red, white and blue over the weekend as Diamond Jubilee fever swept the county.

Miles of bunting fluttered up and down streets as thousands of people joined together to celebrate 60 years of the Queen’s reign.

Trestle tables groaned under the weight of Jubilee treats, children played on bouncy castles and neighbours sat chatting while sipping glasses of champagne.

Fears of a washout proved unfounded as the sun broke through the clouds in the afternoon, bathing revellers in a Jubilee glow.

In St Keyna Avenue, Hove, about 600 people spent the day eating together, playing games and singing songs.

Organiser Jason Glanvill said: “It’s been incredible, such an amazing day.

“We’ve raised about £4,500 for a children’s charity but we’ve also had such a lot of fun.

“Even the mayor and mayoress came down for a glass of Pimms. Everyone has enjoyed themselves so much.”

Party-goers in Langdale Gardens, Hove, wore special masks of royals including Prince William and the Duchess of Cambridge to their party.

Organiser Stephanie St James said the day had been “a bit mad” but said it had gone “tremendously well”.

She said: “We’ve had far too much food and drink and there’s been so much going on. It’s been brilliant.

“We had a tug of war, an egg and spoon race and an incredible band.

"We’re like a big family here so it’s great that we get this opportunity to come together and have fun.

“Everyone really does care about the Jubilee and people have been amazingly patriotic, which is great.”

Jubilee performance

After trying to guess the weight of a large Jubilee cake, partygoers in The Causeway, Hove, were treated to a special Jubilee performance from a mime artist dressed in Union Flag colours.

Lorna Monaghan, who helped organise the party, said the special day had “really brought the whole community together”.

She said: “We have lived here for 20 years and I have met neighbours I never knew I had. That’s what days like this are all about.

“We’ve got bunting, balloons and even some Jubilee pom poms and we also had an egg and spoon race.

“The weather’s been kind to us and now we just can’t wait till next year when we’re going to do it all again.”

Traditional games

In Worthing, children in Pavilion Road came together for an afternoon of ‘welly wanging’ – trying to throw a wellington boot as far as possible.

Organiser Ella Arnardottir said the party had been “all about building a real sense of community”.

She said: “There are lots of people from different ethnic backgrounds here.

“So we had lots of exotic food from around the globe, which was great. People here have been quite competitive about their street parties, which has been fun, and I think we’ve done very well.”

In Downside Avenue, Worthing, people came together to play unusual games including trying to pick doughnuts off a stick with no hands.

Organiser Sandra Collins said revellers had “really got into the spirit” of the Jubilee.

She said: “Lots of people watched the pageant on TV and it really got them in the mood.

“The party really brought the community together because you don’t often get the chance to chat to your neighbours and this really helps.

“A lot of the people here might never see another Jubilee so I’m glad we really made the most of it.”

See more Diamond Jubilee Street Party pictures in The Argus' dedicated gallery.

Are you holding a Jubilee gathering? Call us on 01273 544531 or email news@theargus.co.uk We want your Jubilee street party pictures. Email them to news@theargus.co.uk or text them to 80360 starting your text with SUPIC.


Source: www.theargus.co.uk

Kent racehorse Stone of Folca becomes world’s fastest - Kent News

Horse trained by Maidstone’s John Best romps to victory at Epsom Derby Day

A Kent racehorse has become the world’s fastest over five furlongs - with the Queen looking on as she kicked off her Diamond Jubilee celebrations.

The incredible performance of Stone of Folca, from the original name of Folkestone, saw him take the world record over that distance in front of the Queen.

He is trained by John Best at Detling near Maidstone, who could not be happier, as the horse’s value has just soared.

Anyone with around £400,000 to spare and fancies owning an animal with more horse power than any other can get in touch.

Stone of Folca is owned by people holding 120 shares, which were originally bought for £555 each.

But then the horse won the Investec Specialist Bank Dash during the Epsom Derby Day meeting on Saturday in front of the monarch.

He was a 50-1 long shot, ridden by Luke Morris, but it left the rest of the 20-strong field in his wake win in a time of 53.69 seconds. That is 0.09 seconds faster than Indigenous did 52 years ago using a handheld stopwatch which was wildly inaccurate, especially when hundredths of seconds count.

The £46,000 prize money is now paid out to the shareholders at around £380 per share, almost paying the owners back in one race.

Mr Best said: “We do sell horses from here when they run well so we make a profit. I would say this horse is now worth something between £300,000 and £400,000. Many go to Hong Kong.”

The Epsom course is slightly downhill, so the record is unlikely to be broken at any other track, and Stone of Folca just happened to be on his best form that day.

Mr Best said: “He is four this year. He was a fine two-year-old, then had last year whichg wasn’t too great, and now this.

“And he did it from stall two. At Epsom no one wins from under stall nine out of the 20 or so. A high stall number is vital to win. So if Stone of Folca had one of the higher stalls, he would have shattered all the records.

“I’ve always known he was quick but sometimes he can be very hard to handle. This time though every thing went like a dream.

“I believe not only was it the first time the race has been won from a stall lower than nine, but also the fastest time recorded electronically for any five furlong race. We will almost certainly take our chances at Royal Ascot, in June although that will be a huge step up.”

0 comments


    Source: www.kentnews.co.uk

    No comments: